All Philip Rivers really wanted was a chance to play one more NFL season. So when the Indianapolis Colts gave him a shot, the eight-time Pro Bowler took it.
Rivers officially ended his 16-year tenure with the Chargers on Saturday by signing the $25 million deal he agreed to last week.
“I still love to play, I know I can play at a high level,” the 38-year-old quarterback said on a conference call, acknowledging he was ready to walk away from football if he received no offers.
Rivers believes he has plenty to offer even after one of his worst seasons.
He threw 23 touchdown passes, his lowest total since 2007, and 20 interceptions, matching the second-highest total of his career. While some blamed the troubles on a poor offensive line or Rivers trying to do too much to rally the Chargers late in games, others contended his skills were rapidly deteriorating.
Now, with a fresh start, a strong running game and one of the league’s top offensive lines, Rivers insists he will prove the critics wrong this season.
“I feel great and if I feel like I do next year then I’ll be excited to keep on going, depending on how the team feels about it,” Rivers said. “I do want to coach my oldest son (in high school). I have two sons, they’re 12 and eight, so we’ve got a little time. I don’t think you’ll see me in the Tom Brady range, but I feel good and I feel like I can help a team win a championship.”
Rivers takes the reins of an Indianapolis team that stumbled to a 7-9 record last season. But first he must beat out incumbent starter Jacoby Brissett, who struggled during the second half last season after injuring his left knee.
Rivers Out To Prove Critics Wrong

Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.